Friday, August 8, 2008

Beethoven would be so proud

There have been a number of new sounds that we have gotten used to as we adjust to life here in Taipei. The low hum of hard-working air conditioning units spells not only a much needed respite from the sweltering summer heat but also sweet relief from the big city pollution. The high-pitched whir of small engines warns of scooters carrying entire families that are about to careen across the crosswalk in front of you. The far-too-excited way I greet passers-by on our way to school with, "Zao an"(good morning) which is the first Chinese I've learned since we arrived that I have actually been able to retain.

But, I have to say... there is a new sound here that is my favorite. It is the tinny, mechanical sound of Fur Elise that drifts into our apartment every evening. Though it sounds like the pied piper beckoning children to ruin their dinners with ice cream delights, this sound is actually calling for... our trash. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the garbage truck plays Fur Elise to let us know of his arrival twice every evening. He comes once at six and once at eight, both times greeting us with Beethoven's masterpiece. When the sweet music wafts in, adults and children alike scurry down, garbage bags in hand, to greet the music maker.

Now, I have to tell you, garbage collection here is quite a complicated process. We actually had, and I'm not making this up, an entire orientation on how to dispose of our rubbish. You must divide everything into three categories: actual trash, food waste and recyclables. Then, there are actually subcategories for your recyclables that can only be recycled on certain days. Somewhat in a tizzy about writing down all of said subcategories, our friends leaned over and informed us, "Don't worry. People will be fighting over sorting your trash." Evidently, people make quite a pretty penny by recycling so each apartment building has at least one trash lady who quite politely relieves you of your trash the moment you step out of the building. Sure enough, as soon as we heard good ol' Ludwig calling our name, we gathered up all of our rubbish and headed downstairs to find a lovely gloved woman there to take it off of our hands. What a fine way to end the day...

4 comments:

Tori said...

hahaha it's not easy being green is it sasquatch? That really blesses me, what a pleasant way to announce the garbage man

Abbey said...

How lovely! I think I'll tell our garbage man about this pleasantry.
And can you cheat at all w/ the goarbage?? I mean how are they gonna know if you're just in a plain hurry, and can't get it all in it's proper categories?? :)

Lillie said...

Twice a night! You are going to be so spoiled! Do you have a maid, a cook, a driver...yet?
Love you

Alice Robbins said...

Wish I had someone like that at my door. They wait until I put it in the trash and then they come to sort! :) My sound is the wonderful bells calling people to pray 5 times a day. When I visit the States, I miss that wonderful sound! Glad you are finding wonder and joy in the newness of your new life!